Content Tabs

Monday, April 11, 2005

Learning Object development links

The following documents and papers were really invaluable to me in my research and they clarified some of the mystery surrounding Learning Objects. I didn't "get" the whole concept of LOs because I couldn't equate them to the more "linear" process for developing materials for classroom training.

While there are some links over on the right side, these ones are a little more specific.
  1. The Herridge Group: Joanne Mowat is the principal for Herridge, and she's also had a long involvement with the ISPI (International Society for Performance Improvement) in Toronto. On her 'White Papers' page are two documents I found to be very, very helpful: An Introduction to Learning Objects, and Learning Objects and Instructional Design.
  2. AliveTek: This e-learning consulting firm has a number of Articles and documents worth reading, in particular, the Learning Object Storyboard, and the Learning Object Analysis Sheet. I use these two forms regularly.
  3. Article: We're Not Designing Courses Anymore. An interesting article comparing traditional ISD with e-learning concepts.
  4. Article: Gagne's Conditions of Learning. One of the articles I read made reference to his model, so it may be worth a look. Not e-learning specific, but interesting nonetheless. This article is a precis of Gagne's work.
  5. Article: Repurposable Learning Objects Linked to Teaching and Learning Styles. A somewhat more in-depth paper on LO development. While there is some product-specific discussion, I found the overall content to be quite interesting.

Let me know if you find any of these useful. The big winner for me were the 2 papers from Joanne Mowat along with the storyboard and analysis sheets from AliveTek.

No comments: